There has been an influx of new and second hand shipping containers for sale in recent times. Numerous people are now discovering the many benefits of repurposing shipping containers into durable and sturdy storage units which can be utilized for both commercial and residential usage. There has been a rise in popularity regarding containers due to its advantageous qualities. The hardiness of containers enables it to withstand the harshest of weather and in some instances even fire. Having such a sound structure ensures that your prized possessions and belongings will be safe all year round. The standard sizing of all containers makes it easy to transport and highly cost efficient. The containers can be stacked and moved to any location via truck transportation provided that there is ample room and legible road for the truck to travel on. Although making use of such containers for storage sounds like a great idea, there are a few factors you should consider before purchasing one in order to ensure that your stored items stay in pristine condition for lengthy periods of time.
Factors to consider for ultimate safety and minimal hassle;
1. The transportation and delivery process: A flatbed or tilt-bed truck is usually the truck of choice when it comes to the movement of shipping containers. These vehicles ensure easy manoeuvring on and off the truck. In some cases with flatbeds, a forklift might be required to place the container where it is needed.
2. Obtain the necessary documentation: Depending on how you wish to use your container, you would need to inquire about and receive the necessary permits for your storage structure. Generally structures which have or will need a permanent foundation, require a building permit and authorisation.
3. Prepare a foundation/ seating: It would be ideal to sit the container on a solid foundation. Having the container sit directly onto the ground could reduce the life of the storage unit. Direct contact with the ground can result in moisture build up and poor ventilation. These issues lead to decay and the onset of rust. Some critters may even seek refuge under the container which can be potentially hazardous. Suitable options for foundation would be bricks or a concrete slab.
4. The setup cost: The upfront cost associated with purchasing and moving a container is much more feasible in comparison to building a wooden or concrete structure. When building a structure from scratch there are numerous expenses that arise. One must keep in mind the cost for building materials, transportation and construction labor. However a shipping container will still supersede the overall durability of a built structure. A built shed may experience issues with structure and foundation based on weather and gradual movement of land.
5. Securing your containers before usage: Sometimes the purchase of second hand containers might require a little maintenance and additional fittings such as a locking mechanism. If your container is within public field of vision, it would be advisable to add a lockbox as it limits access to the lock, making it almost impossible to cut the lock. Brand new containers usually come fitted with a lockbox.
6. Ventilation: It is likely for condensation build up to take place inside of the container especially in regions of the country that experience high temperature and humidity. A build-up of moisture can damage and perish the goods stored in the container and lead to bad odour. To prevent this from happening, you should install a ventilation system that facilitates the circulation of air (eg. fixed vents). In an effort to combat odour, place your regular air freshener or even some ground coffee inside of the container and close up the container for a few days until the bad odour is absorbed/ washed out.
7. Perfect sizing: There are a few standard sizing options for containers that are available for purchase. Before making a purchase, ensure that you are selecting the size which is suitable for your belongings and yard space. In terms of commercial storage, select the container size which will afford you the best investment return. This means that you should decide and determine the profit margin you wish to achieve and select sizes accordingly.
8. Quality comes at a price: While it is important to find a container that does not exceed your budget, the cheapest container might not be in the best condition to use as a storage unit. Containers can be purchased, “as is” (existing condition), refurbished or brand new. The prices are assigned to match the condition of the container. If you are deciding on a second hand container, make certain that it is in reasonable condition and has minimal to no defects.
Whether it is for residential purposes or business use, you would find that shipping containers are a great and affordable solution when looking for extra storage. We at CSLA are reliable suppliers of new and used containers. Contact us today and let a member of our friendly staff assist and guide you in finding a suitable container for your needs.
Contact us now – call 27 31 000 8630